The University of North Carolina Press is pleased to announce the launch of North Carolina Scholarship Online on Oxford University Press’s University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) platform to take advantage of a fully enabled XML environment with cutting-edge search and discovery functionality. UNC Press books are now live on the UPSO platform.
“The University of North Carolina Press is honored and excited to be a part of the University Press Scholarship Online platform,” said John Sherer, Director of The University of North Carolina Press. “Part of our 10-decade long tradition has been to disseminate the work of our authors as broadly as possible and this new partnership will achieve that in a dynamic new way.”
Responding to increased demand for online scholarly content, UPSO streamlines the research process by making disparately published monographs easily accessible, highly discoverable, and fully cross-searchable via one online platform. Research that previously would have required users to jump between a variety of books and disconnected websites can now be concentrated through a single search engine.
UPSO’s mission is to create an individually-branded home for monographs from each participating university press just as it has done for Oxford Scholarship Online while allowing highly intuitive tools to deep search across all the content in the program. As such, UPSO will be the premier online research tool—for scholars, teachers, graduate and undergraduate students—and an essential resource for all academic libraries.
Benefits of UPSO for academics, libraries, and partner presses:
- Provides the highest quality scholarly content across 28 subject areas
- Includes a vast and growing number of titles (14,000+ to date), all with abstracts and keywords at both the book and chapter level for each title
- All UPSO content is available in XML, which provides deep tagging and better search results. Content can also be saved and downloaded to PDF
- Content is fully cross-referenced and cross-searchable, with clickable citations from bibliographies and footnotes, including OpenURL and DOI-linking support
- Allows users to streamline research through a single online platform
- Can be easily integrated into library systems and updated frequently with new content
- Offers full customer support services as well as flexibility and choice in purchasing models
- Fully mobile optimized for use on smartphones and tablets
- Increases discoverability and usage of university press scholarly materials
“The University of North Carolina Press is an exemplar of scholarly publishing, a perfect representative of the best American university presses have to offer,” said Niko Pfund, President of Oxford University Press USA. “UPSO’s holdings will be much enhanced by UNC’s top-quality scholarship, defined as it is by rigorous peer review and attentive editing.”