It’s Giving Tuesday at UNC Press! To celebrate this national day of giving, UNC Press invites you to become a Sustainer of the UNC Press Club by signing up for automatic monthly giving through Network for Good on our website.
What is the UNC Press Club? The Press Club is a group of book lovers who, through their membership, help the Press recruit leading authors and make their publications available in numerous formats. As a nonprofit publisher, roughly 80% of the UNC Press budget comes from the sale of books. Private gifts from corporations, foundations, and individuals like you make up over 12% of our budget.
What’s in it for you?
- Press Club members get special invitations and access to UNC Press authors, news, and events.
- UNC Press is a not-for-profit business, so your gift is a charitable, tax-deductible gift.
- If you become a Sustainer before Wednesday, December 31, your name will be entered into a drawing for your choice of one of the “essential” UNC Press book sets listed below.
For what you might spend on a cup of coffee or lunch with friends, you can become a UNC Press Club Sustainer and be a part of our publishing excellence. Sign up today!
Essential UNC Press North Carolina Nature & Travel Books
- Wild North Carolina: Discovering the Wonders of Our State’s Natural Communities, by David Blevins and Michael P. Schafale
- Farm Fresh North Carolina: The Go-To Guide to Great Farmers’ Markets, Farm Stands, Farms, Apple Orchards, U-Picks, Kids’ Activities, Lodging, Dining, Choose-and-Cut Christmas Trees, Vineyards and Wineries, and More, by Diane Daniel
- Crossroads of the Natural World: Exploring North Carolina with Tom Earnhardt, by Tom Earnhardt
- Hugh Morton’s North Carolina, by Hugh Morton
- Birds of the Carolinas, by Eloise F. Potter, James F. Parnell, Robert P. Teulings and Ricky Davis
Essential UNC Press Civil War Books
- Wade Hampton: Confederate Warrior to Southern Redeemer, by Rod Andrew Jr.
- Mothers of Invention: Women of the Slaveholding South in the American Civil War, by Drew Gilpin Faust
- Within the Plantation Household: Black and White Women of the Old South, by Elizabeth Fox-Genovese
- Zeb Vance: North Carolina’s Civil War Governor and Gilded Age Political Leader, by Gordon B. McKinney
- A Savage Conflict: The Decisive Role of Guerrillas in the American Civil War, by Daniel E. Sutherland
Essential UNC Press Religious Studies Books
- What Is Veiling? by Sahar Amer
- How to Read the Qur’an: A New Guide, with Select Translations, by Carl W. Ernst
- The Provincials: A Personal History of Jews in the South, by Eli N. Evans
- Down Home: Jewish Life in North Carolina, by Leonard Rogoff
- The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture: Volume 1: Religion, edited by Samuel S. Hill
Essential UNC Press African American Studies Books
- Crafting Lives: African American Artisans in New Bern, North Carolina, 1770-1900, by Catherine W. Bishir
- African American Music Trails of Eastern North Carolina, by Sarah Bryan, Beverly Patterson and Michelle Lanier
- The Fire of Freedom: Abraham Galloway and the Slaves’ Civil War, by David S. Cecelski
- The Free Negro in North Carolina, 1790-1860, by John Hope Franklin
- Self-Taught: African American Education in Slavery and Freedom, by Heather Andrea Williams