Every Tuesday this summer we’re featuring a new recipe on the blog from one of our Savor the South® cookbooks. Each little cookbook in our Savor the South® cookbook collection is a big celebration of a beloved food or tradition of the American South. From buttermilk to bourbon, pecans to peaches, bacon to catfish, one by one each volume will stock a kitchen shelf with the flavors and culinary wisdom of this popular American regional cuisine. Written by well-known cooks and food lovers, each book brims with personality, the informative and often surprising culinary and natural history of southern foodways, and a treasure of some fifty recipes—from delicious southern classics to sparkling international renditions that open up worlds of taste for cooks everywhere. You’ll want to collect them all.
Today’s recipe is from Bridgette A. Lacy’s Sunday Dinner. Lacy is a journalist who writes about food for The Independent Weekly and the North Carolina Arts Council. She also served as a longtime features and food writer for the Raleigh News & Observer. Follow her on Twitter @bridgettealacy.
Lacy’s recipe features classic southern staples—green beans and potatoes—in a hearty and flavorful dish. It’s sure to bring the whole family together around the table!
Recipe: Green Beans with Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs. green beans fresh
- 10-11 fingerling potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp. Herbs de Provence
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2-3 pats salted butter
- Rinse the green beans, snap off the ends, and break the beans into bite-sized pieces. Place the green beans and potatoes in a large pot and add the chicken broth.
- Cover the pot and cook the vegetables on medium-high heat for 30 minutes, periodically stirring them with a slotted spoon. Add the Herbs de Provence and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 more minutes or until the beans and potatoes are tender. Transfer to a serving dish and add the butter.