Every Tuesday this summer we’re featuring a new recipe on the blog from one of our Savor the South® cookbooks. Each little cookbook in our Savor the South® cookbook collection is a big celebration of a beloved food or tradition of the American South. From buttermilk to bourbon, pecans to peaches, bacon to catfish, one by one each volume will stock a kitchen shelf with the flavors and culinary wisdom of this popular American regional cuisine. Written by well-known cooks and food lovers, each book brims with personality, the informative and often surprising culinary and natural history of southern foodways, and a treasure of some fifty recipes—from delicious southern classics to sparkling international renditions that open up worlds of taste for cooks everywhere. You’ll want to collect them all.
Today’s recipe is from Kathleen Purvis’s Pecans. Purvis is the food editor of the Charlotte Observer, a well known food writer, and a long-time member of the Southern Foodways Alliance. She is also the author of Bourbon. Follow her on Twitter @kathleenpurvis. Her recipe for pecan pimento cheese makes for an easy and delicious snack.
Recipe: Pecan Pimento Cheese
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or to taste
- 1-1 1/2 tsps. Tabasco
- 1 (7 oz.) jar diced pimentos undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Combine the cheddar and cream cheese in a food processor, pulsing to mix. Mix in the mayonnaise and Tabasco. Scrape into a mixing bowl and stir in the pimentos and their juice and the pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with crackers.